Bacon & Eggs will never be the same again once you’ve tasted Terry Orreal’s Home Made Bacon!
Mmmm, bacon & eggs. Our bacon is cured, naturally smoked and prepared in house according to our traditional recipe and in the old fashioned manner. Nothing artificial is added.
Like all good things, our bacon making process takes time.
But it’s well worth the wait! If you’re gonna treat yourself to some bacon with your breakfast, why not get the best?
- Most people fry their bacon in a pan or on the barbeque, and this method works very well.
- Surprisingly, bacon is great done in the microwave between sheets of paper towel!!!
- For super crispy bacon, sizzle it slowly under a grill, turning often.
- If cooking a large amount, cook your bacon in single layers on racks in your oven.
- No matter how you choose to cook your bacon, you’re sure to notice the superior taste of Terry Orreal’s Famous Brendale Home Made Bacon.
- We guarantee 100% satisfaction or your money back.
- 1 Ham Hock or 1Kg of Bacon Bones
- 1 Packet of green or yellow split peas
- 2 onions
- 2 Carrots
- 1 stick of celery
- 1 parsnip (optional)
- 1 turnip (optional)
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon of pepper
- 1 litre of vegetable or chicken stock (or just water is fine)
Note: Yellow peas tend to be milder in flavour than green peas. I’d use yellow peas if cooking for children and green split peas for those with more mature tastes.
Slow Cooker Method
- Wash and soak the split peas, overnight if possible.
- Chop up all the veggies and chuck them in to the slow cooker with the split peas, veggie stock and bay leaves.
- Put the ham hock or bacon bones in the slow cooker, cover with water and cook on high for and hour or two.
- Once the meat is starting to fall from the bones, take out the ham hock and bacon bones and let the meat cool while the soup keeps on cooking.
- When the meat is cool enough to handle, remove and discard the fat, rind and bones. Break up the meat and return it to the soup. Add the pepper and let it cook for at least another 15 minutes and serve when ever you are ready.
Can be made fast in a pressure cooker.
Please check your pressure cooker instruction guide to adjust cooking times.
Serves about 10 average size bowls.
Goes well with a slice of fresh crusty bread for dipping.
Serve with a large glass of Brown or Pale Ale, a Sparkling White Wine or Ginger Beer.
- Freeze left-overs in plastic containers and reheat it in a pot or in the microwave anytime!
- Heat some left-over Pea and Ham soup and take it to school or work in your Thermos Flask for a warming lunch on a cold day.
Terry Orreal’s Quality Meats is famous for providing the highest quality meats to restaurants and consumers in the Pine Rivers area for over 45 years!
We’re proud of every product we sell! Our meats consistantly make the finals in national, state and local industry awards.
Some of our more recent awards include:
- 1st prize 2011 Brisbane Ekka – Best Corned Silverside.
- 3rd prize 2011 AMIC National Gourmet Sausage King for Curry Beef & Onion.
- 1st prize 2010 Brisbane Ekka – Best Corned Silverside.
- 1st prize 2010 Brisbane Ekka – Best Pre-cooked Sausage – Weissworst .
- 1st prize 2010 AMIC Qld Gourmet Sausage King for Curry Beef & Onion.
- 3rd prize 2010 Brisbane Ekka – Best Wood Smoked Leg Ham.
- 3rd prize 2010 Brisbane Ekka – Best Dried Beef Jerky/Biltong
- 1st prize 2009 AMIC National Gourmet Sausage King for his Mediteranian Lamb.
- 1st prize 2009 Brisbane Ekka – Best Corned Silverside.
- 2nd prize 2008 AMIC National Gourmet Sausage King for Continental Snags.