The Boil Up
The Ultimate Maori Feed
Feeds 4 people
All you need is –
- Your biggest pot
- 2kg to 3kg Pork Bones and/or Bacon Bones
- 8 small, whole, washed potatoes, skin on
- 2 peeled carrots
- 3 bunches watercress
- Self raising flour
- Salt, pepper & butter
- Put bones in the pot, cover with water and cook for 40 mins on medium heat or until tender.
- Add (whole) potatoes and chunky chopped carrots .
- Cook for another 25 minutes.
- Add watercress on top, put the lid on and allow to steam.
Dumplings (or Dough Boys) –
- Mound the flour and make a well.
- Add a pinch of salt and a little water to the well.
- Mix with your hands until you achieve a soft mixture, add more water a little at a time if needed (the secret for soft fluffy dough boys is not to handle the mixture to much), roll into little balls.
- Place the dough boys on top of the watercress to steam.
- When the doughboys are fluffy, its ready.
- Serve it all up with a good knob of real butter, salt and pepper to taste.