- 1 Ham Hock or 1Kg of Bacon Bones
- 1 Packet of green or yellow split peas
- 2 onions
- 2 Carrots
- 1 stick of celery
- 1 parsnip (optional)
- 1 turnip (optional)
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon of pepper
- 1 litre of vegetable or chicken stock (or just water is fine)
Note: Yellow peas tend to be milder in flavour than green peas. I’d use yellow peas if cooking for children and green split peas for those with more mature tastes.
Slow Cooker Method
- Wash and soak the split peas, overnight if possible.
- Chop up all the veggies and chuck them in to the slow cooker with the split peas, veggie stock and bay leaves.
- Put the ham hock or bacon bones in the slow cooker, cover with water and cook on high for and hour or two.
- Once the meat is starting to fall from the bones, take out the ham hock and bacon bones and let the meat cool while the soup keeps on cooking.
- When the meat is cool enough to handle, remove and discard the fat, rind and bones. Break up the meat and return it to the soup. Add the pepper and let it cook for at least another 15 minutes and serve when ever you are ready.
Can be made fast in a pressure cooker.
Please check your pressure cooker instruction guide to adjust cooking times.
Serves about 10 average size bowls.
Goes well with a slice of fresh crusty bread for dipping.
Serve with a large glass of Brown or Pale Ale, a Sparkling White Wine or Ginger Beer.
- Freeze left-overs in plastic containers and reheat it in a pot or in the microwave anytime!
- Heat some left-over Pea and Ham soup and take it to school or work in your Thermos Flask for a warming lunch on a cold day.