Ingredients (serves 4):
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 lamb shanks
- 20g butter
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup red wine
- 275g jar whole berry cranberry sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh rosemary sprigs
- mashed potato, to serve
- steamed green beans, to serve
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Heat oil in a large, heavy-based, flameproof dish over high heat. Cook shanks, in two batches, for 4 to 5 minutes on each side or until brown on all sides.
- Remove to a plate.
- Melt butter in dish until sizzling. Add flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and slowly add stock, wine and cranberry sauce.
- Season with salt and pepper, return to heat and bring to the boil. Add lamb and rosemary.
- Cover dish, transfer to oven and bake for 1 hour.
- Remove lid and bake for a further 30 minutes or until shanks are tender.
- Serve with potato and beans.
Eat in front of the fire or TV in your pyjamas. Goes well with a glass of red wine, Bourbon ‘n’ cola or brewed sarsaparilla.